Drains are essential for our homes, but they can also be a source of unpleasant smells. If your drain is starting to smell, there are a few things you can do to clean it and get rid of the odor.
1. Identify the Source of the Smell
The first step is to identify the source of the smell. Is it coming from the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink, or the shower drain? Once you know where the smell is coming from, you can start to narrow down the possible causes.
2. Check for Hair and Grease
One of the most common causes of smelly drains is hair and grease. Hair can build up in the drain and trap grease, which can lead to a buildup of bacteria. To check for hair and grease, pour a cup of hot water down the drain and then look for any hair or grease that is visible.
3. Use a Drain Snake
If you find hair and grease in the drain, you can use a drain snake to clear it out. A drain snake is a long, flexible tool that can be inserted into the drain to break up any clogs.
4. Pour Boiling Water Down the Drain
If you don’t have a drain snake, you can pour boiling water down the drain to help clear out any clogs. The boiling water will help to dissolve grease and bacteria, which can help to get rid of the smell.
5. Use a Chemical Drain Cleaner
If the boiling water doesn’t work, you can try using a chemical drain cleaner. Chemical drain cleaners are available at most hardware stores. Be sure to follow the directions on the label carefully when using chemical drain cleaners.
6. Call a Plumber
If you’ve tried all of the above and the smell is still there, you may need to call a plumber. A plumber will have the tools and experience to clear out any clogs that are causing the smell.
Here are a few things you can do to prevent your drains from smelling in the first place:
- Don’t put grease down the drain. Grease can solidify and build up in the drain, which can lead to clogs and smells. Instead, pour grease into a container and throw it away.
- Use a strainer. A strainer will catch hair and food particles before they can go down the drain. This will help to prevent clogs and smells.
- Clean your drains regularly. Pouring a cup of hot water down the drain once a week can help to keep your drains clean and free of clogs.
By following these tips, you can keep your drains clean and free of smells.